Colorado Breweries Collected 35 Medals at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF)
The haul of medals — won by 28 different breweries — represented the second-largest total of any state awarded at the country’s largest beer festival, put on by the Boulder-based Brewers Association and held Thursday through Saturday at the Colorado Convention Center. Only California, with 49, garnered more.
Funkwerks, a 2-year-old Fort Collins beermaker, won the prestigious Small Brewing Company of the Year award.
Here are the Colorado winners of GABF medals in 2012, with the category in which they won the award. (Click here to download the complete 2012 winners list.)
- AC Golden Brewing Co. of Golden: Bronze for Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout (wood- and barrel-aged strong stout).
- Aspen Brewing Co. of Aspen: Silver for Saison (French- and Belgian-style saison).
- Avery Brewing Co. of Boulder: Silver for White Rascal (Belgian-style witbier).
- BJ’s Restaurant & Brewery of Boulder: Gold for Got Beer (indigenous beer).
- Bull & Bush Brewery of Denver: Silver for The Tower E.S.B. (extra special bitter).
- CB & Potts Restaurant & Brewery of Fort Collins: Gold for 6X Helles (Munich-style helles).
- Coors Brewing of Golden: Bronze for Keystone Light (American-style lager, light lager or premium lager).
- Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project of Denver: Silver for Sentience (wood- and barrel-aged sour beer).
- Dry Dock Brewing of Aurora: Gold for Dry Dock Apricot Blonde (fruit beer) and bronze for S.S. Minnow Mild Ale (English-style mild ale).
- Echo Brewing of Frederick: Bronze for Balefire Red (Irish-style red ale).
- Eddyline Brewing of Buena Vista: Gold for River Runners Pale Ale (international-style pale ale).
- Equinox Brewing of Fort Collins: Gold for Knight Ryder Munich Dunkel (European-style dunkel).
- Fort Collins Brewery of Fort Collins: Gold for Bambastic (smoke beer).
- Funkwerks of Fort Collins: Golds for Deceit (Belgian-style strong specialty ale) and Saison (French- and Belgian-style saison).
- Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co. of Glenwood Springs: Gold for Irish Red (Irish-style red ale).
- Grimm Brothers Brewhouse of Loveland: Bronze for Little Red Cap (German-style altbier).
- Kannah Creek Brewing Co. of Grand Junction: Silver for Land’s End Amber (German-style altbier).
- Left Hand Brewing Co. of Longmont: Bronze for Sawtooth Ale (ordinary or special bitter).
- New Belgium Brewing Co. of Fort Collins: Gold for More Fun Blonde (pro-am competition with homebrewer Jay Shambo) and bronze for NBB Love Felix (German-style sour ale).
- New Planet Beer Co. of Boulder: Silver for Brown (gluten-free beer).
- Rock Bottom Westminster: Silver for Milk Stout (sweet stout) and bronze for Molly’s Titanic Brown Ale (English-style brown ale).
- The SandLot of Denver (located inside Coors Field): Golds for Move Back (Dortmunder or German-style Oktoberfest) and Wildpitch Hefeweizen (German-style wheat ale).
- Strange Brewing of Denver: Bronze for Dr. Strangelove (barley wine-style ale).
- Telluride Brewing Co. of Telluride: Gold for Face Down Brown (American-style brown ale).
- Tommyknocker Brewery of Idaho Springs: Gold for Butt Head Bock (bock) and bronze for Colorado IPA Nouveau (fresh hop ale).
- Trinity Brewing Co. of Colorado Springs: Bronze for TPS Report (American-style Brett ale).
- Twisted Pine Brewing Co. of Boulder: Gold for West Bound Braggot (specialty honey beer) and bronze for Big Shot Espresso Stout (coffee beer).
- Upslope Brewing Co. of Boulder: Silver for Upslope Brown Ale (American-style brown ale).